The Stevens Square Historic District was locally designated in 1988 and nationally designated in 1993, thanks to the hard work and cooperation of neighborhood residents and property owners. The area has been designated because of the unique and cohesive historic architecture of 3-1/2 story brownstones surrounding Stevens Square Park. For more information about the formation of the district, click here.
The area south of what is the Minneapolis Central Business District was platted in 1856. Two property owners, Richard J. Mendenhall and Dr. Nathan B.Hill, owned most of the surrounding land which they developed as a residential neighborhood made up of a few large, single family homes. These large residential lots and "country estates" ensured that the Stevens Square area remained stable during periodic, speculative real-estate booms.
The Stevens Square-Loring Heights NRP Building Safety Improvement Program aims to support property owners and tenants in their efforts to increase the safety of the neighborhood through improvements to their buildings and environs. This program was formerly known as the Lighting and Fencing Program, but has been expanded to include other safety-related improvements, as described in the guidelines. It is funded in full by the Minneapolis Neighborhood Revitalization Program in conjunction with the priorities of the members of the Stevens Square-Loring Heights neighborhood, and is implemented with the support of the 5th Precinct SAFE Unit.
I you are interested in applying for a safety grant, please contact SSCO’s Safety Coordinator at (612) 874-2840.
In 1989, Stevens Square received its historical designation due primarily to the number of three-and-a-half story brick apartment buildings: similar in size, character and materials, surrounding the park. Today, many are renter occupied similar to the profile of the people who first lived in the neighborhood. Therefore, the neighborhood character is demographically as well as physically very much the same as it was when it first took shape as a neighborhood of respectable apartment dwellings in the early 1900's.
The commercial center of the neighborhood is located on Nicollet Avenue, where several restaurants, social service agencies and schools, and retail merchants operate. Minor commercial hubs include Franklin Avenue and the Clinton Avenue strip mall.